Large crowd pays respects to couple killed in Tunisia attack

Funeral service for Martina and Laurence Hayes to take place in Athlone on Friday

People queue outside Flynn’s Funeral Home in Athlone ahead of  the removal of the late Laurence and Martina Hayes who were killed in the Tunisia terrorist attack last week. Photograph: James Flynn/APX.

People queue outside Flynn’s Funeral Home in Athlone ahead of the removal of the late Laurence and Martina Hayes who were killed in the Tunisia terrorist attack last week. Photograph: James Flynn/APX.

 

Large crowds have gathered in Athlone, Co Westmeath to their pay respects to Martina and Laurence Hayes who were killed in the Tunisia terror attack last week.

The remains of the couple, from Westlodge in the town, are lying in repose at Flynn’s funeral home in Athlone.

Their funeral will take place on Friday at the Church of Saint Peter and Paul at 11am before burial at Coosan Cemetary in Co Westmeath.

A funeral service for Lorna Carty, from Robinstown, Co Meath, who was also killed in the Tunisia attack, will be held on Saturday.

The remains of the three victims arrived in Dublin airport in the early hours of Thursday.

Ms Carty was in Tunisia on a sun holiday to help her husband Declan recover from a heart attack.

Mr and Ms Hayes, who were in their 50s, were also on holiday when Tunisian student Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire on a beach in the Sousse region on Friday killing 38 people.

A minute’s silence was held in the Dáil on Tuesday for the victims, while flags flew at half mast on Government Buildings.

Books of condolences were also opened in Meath, Athlone and online by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation.

Irish tour operator Sunway said on Wednesday it had suspended its Tunisia holiday programme after the attack.

A spokeswoman for the company said due to the current uncertain situation in Tunisia, it decided to suspend the weekly flight schedule to Monastir from this Friday July 3rd until the situation is clarified.

“Our return flight on Friday, July 3rd, from Monastir to Dublin will go ahead as scheduled. We have not taken this decision lightly but believe it to be in the best interests of our customers,” the spokeswoman said.

Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi said an investigation was under way into security failures and armed tourist police would be on beaches.