Gardaí continue to question two over fatal shooting of Michael Tormey

Judge grants extension to officers questioning woman and man over Ballyfermot shooting

 

A man in his early 40s and a woman in her late 30s are continuing to be questioned by gardaí in relation to the fatal shooting of a father-of-three outside his home in west Dublin last week.

Michael Tormey (49) was shot outside his home on Thomond Road in Ballyfermot in the early hours of January 9th after he had returned from a social function.

His wife and young daughter were in the house when the shooting occurred.

Mr Tormey had no known links to crime and worked as a security doorman and salesman. He was remembered as a “gentle giant” during his funeral mass on Saturday.

A man in his early 40s and a woman in her late 30s were arrested in connection with the shooting on Thursday under the provisions of Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2007.

They can be held for a week, but after the first 48-hours, extensions must be authorised by a judge.

Garda Chief Superintendent Finbarr Murphy, based at Blanchardstown Garda station, made applications at Dublin District Court on Saturday evening. The man and woman were present with their solicitors.

Granting the applications, judge Bryan Smyth said he was satisfied that further detention was necessary for the proper investigation of the offence, and that it was being conducted diligently and expeditiously.

The order will expire on Tuesday evening unless gardaí successfully seek a further application to hold them for another 48 hours.

Gardaí said on Sunday morning that they are still being detained at Garda stations in west Dublin.