Man extradited from UK is charged with Gareth Hutch murder

Jonathan Keogh (31), from north inner city Dublin, was arrested at Casement Aerodrome

A Dublin man extradited from the UK has been charged with the murder of Gareth Hutch who was shot dead outside his home last year.

Jonathan Keogh (31) from north inner city Dublin was remanded in custody by Judge Grainne O'Neill at Dublin District Court on Thursday evening.

He is the third person to be charged with the murder of father-of-one Gareth Hutch who was a nephew of Gerry “the Monk” Hutch.

His sister Regina Keogh and Dublin man Thomas Fox are already awaiting trial for the murder of Gareth Hutch.


The 35-year-old was gunned down getting into his car outside Avondale House flats, on North Cumberland Street in inner city Dublin on the morning of May 24 last year.

His death came during a series of killings in the feud between Hutch and Kinahan gangs.

Mr Keogh was brought to court under armed escort after he got off an aircraft at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel.

Two armed gardaí were on duty outside the courtroom door as the proceedings got under-way. Judge O’Neill remanded him in custody pending the preparation of a book of evidence.

Garda Sergeant Enda O’Sullivan told court he arrested the accused on foot of a European Arrest Warrant at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel at 2.21pm on Thursday.

He was brought to Clondalkin Garda Station where he was charged at 3.50pm, Gda Sgt O’Sullivan said. Mr Keogh made no reply to the charge after caution and was handed a copy of the warrant and charge sheet, the court heard.

There was no bail application because only the High Court can grant bail in murder cases.

Judge O'Neill asked Mr Keogh's solicitor, Damien Coffey, if there was any other application as "obviously, bail doesn't apply".

Mr Coffey requested that Mr Keogh would be remanded in custody for a week.

Judge O’Neill remarked that there was a “significant” garda presence in the court for the case and asked if any security concerns could be circumvented by remanding to another court.

“I believe we will have any security that needs to be in place for whatever court sits,” Gda Sgt O’Sullivan told her.

Adjourning the case, Judge O’Neill remanded the accused, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on August 30th next.

Mr Coffey said he had no other application to make at this time and asked for permission to speak to the accused in custody when the case concluded.

Mr Keogh, dressed in a navy and white Nike tracksuit with white runners, stood with his arms folded during the brief hearing and consulted his solicitor but he did not address the court.

Last month Mr Keogh’s sister, mother-of-five Regina Keogh from Kings Inn Street, Dublin, was sent forward for trial to the Special Criminal Court. She is also accused of the murder of Mr Hutch and when charged she had replied: “I didn’t do it. I didn’t murder anybody”.

Arrest warrant

The UK’s National Crime Agency, in conjunction with An Garda Síochána and the London Metropolitan Police, had arrested Mr Keogh on June 10th in the Romford area of Essex in England on foot of a European Arrest warrant. He was held in custody in the UK pending extradition proceedings.

Their brother Michael Keogh was shot dead on May 31st as he sat a car after leaving his flat at Sheridan Court in Dublin's north inner city.

In February, 30-year-old Thomas Fox, who has an address at Rutland Court, in north inner city Dublin, was also sent forward for trial to the Special Criminal Court. He is also accused of the murder of Gareth Hutch.

Mr Hutch's uncle, Eddie, had been killed just four weeks beforehand during a series of murders which followed the attack at the Regency Hotel in Dublin during which Kinahan gang member David Byrne was shot dead by AK47 armed gunmen posing as gardaí.

Gareth Hutch’s brother Gary was murdered in Spain in 2015.