Court shown last recorded movements of murdered woman

Jolanta Lubiene and daughter Enrika (8) were found dead at their home in Killorglin

The last recorded movements of the 27-year-old Lithuanian woman whose bloodied body was found on the kitchen floor of her home with her pet dog standing guard over her on June 16th, 2013 were shown to a hushed court room today.

Forestry worker from Lithuania, Aurimas Andruska (27) of Ardmoniel Heights, Killorglin has pleaded not guilty to the murders of Jolanta Lubiene and her 8-year-old daughter Enrika at their home at 9 Langford Downs, Killorglin on a date unknown between June 15th and June 17th, 2013.

The footage, from “a collage” of hours of CCTV footage from around Killorgin on dates between 14th and 15th June captures Ms Lubiene on her way to work at St Joseph’s nursing home for the elderly between 8.12 am and 8.13 am.

She is dressed in black and walking smartly, holding what appears to be two empty bags, one white and one black.


On her way from work CCTV again captures her doing her shopping at Aldi and packing her groceries into her red and white bags at 1.45pm.

The final piece of footage is from the Garda station at Langford Street. It , shows Ms Lubiene on her way to her home at Langford Downs to the south of the Garda station. It is 1.49 pm and she is carrying her shopping.

Her 8-year-old daugher Enrika, who was also murdered on the same day, does not appear on any CCTV footage, Garda Patrick J Doyle agreed with junior counsel for the prosecution, Tom Rice.

The trial at the Central Criminal Court, Tralee, also heard from Sr Elizabeth Farrell who called to Ms Lubiene's home twice on Sunday 16th after she failed to turn up for work in the catering department of the home at 9am.

Sr Farrell had told gardai the dead woman was “very pleasant, reliable and a good worker”.

“Nothing was too much for her and she got on well with patients and staff alike,” she had said.

She got no response from the door bell and she noticed the upstairs curtain was “slightly ajar,” at 9.30am when she called first.

Sr Elizabeth returned between 11.15am and 11.30am and this time she looked in the window panels of the door and saw what appeared to be "a dog's mess" on the third step of the stairs and trailing into the kitchen. This was dark -brownish, she explained to Ms Isobel Kennedy, senior prosecutor.

Cross-examined by Dean Kelly, junior counsel for the defence, Sr Elizabeth explained why she looked in the window the second time she called.

“The dog was barking. The umbrellas were still on the window and it was pouring rain and I thought she must be in.”

The trial also heard from a secondary school student who was staying with her sister at number 10 Langford Downs for much of that weekend.

The walls between the houses were thin, but on Saturday June 15th at 3 pm she heard running up the stairs next door that seemed particularly loud.

“I remember thinking is that how loud I sound when I run up the stairs in my sister’s house,” she said.

Another neighbour, also a student, this time from number 12 Langford Downs said he was going to his weekend work at around 8.55 am on Saturday and noticed the curtains upstairs in number 9 were “wide open”. Both windows were open as far as possible and loud music like a foreign radio station was playing.

The trial before a jury of seven women and five men and presided over by Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy continues. Simultaneous interpretation into Lithuanian is being provided throughout by two interpreters.