Preserved lemons recipe
Great to add to fish, salads, meats and to finish off a noodle or rice dish
Preserved lemons: add to fish, salads, meats and to finish off a noodle or rice dish.
- 4 organic, unwaxed lemons
- 1 tsp Coarse sea salt
- A couple of cinnamon sticks
- 10ml (2 tsp) coriander seeds
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) black peppercorns
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- Olive oil
1. Wash the lemons and quarter each one lengthways, but don’t cut all the way through. You should end up with lemons that open like flowers.
2. Take each one and, holding it half open, put about 2 tsp of salt into it.
3. Squeeze it closed and put into a sterilised jar. Do this with all the lemons, then put a weight on top of them (weighing scale weights work well), cover with a lid, and leave them in a warm place for a few days while the juices run out.
2.Remove the weight and add the cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves by eye getting a nice balance. Add enough fresh lemon juice to cover the lemons completely, then pour a layer of olive oil on top, making sure none are peeping out.
3.Store in a dark cold place and they will be ready to use in about a month.