Potato and apple braise
Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Course: Main Course
- 100ml olive oil
- 3 large sprigs of thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 leeks, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1kg waxy potatoes, cut into cubes
- 500g firm, crisp eating apples, cored and sliced (not peeled)
1. Heat a heavy-based casserole pot and add in the olive oil, followed by the thyme and sage and allow to simmer on a very low heat for a few minutes or until you start to smell the herbs in the air.
2. Add the onion and leeks along with a good seasoning of salt and pepper. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes without a lid, then cover and give it another 15 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, mixing them in well and adding a little more seasoning. Replace the lid and cook on a very low heat for 10 minutes, then add the apples and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. During the cooking process, try not to lift the lid except to check once or twice. If the pot is dry, add a drop of water.
4. Serve with sausages, pork or simply with fried or poached eggs.