- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 60 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Olive oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 - 1 1/2 litres tap water
- 400g parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 400g turnips, peeled and chopped
- 250g beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or chopped very small
- 3 tablespoons fresh turmeric, grated or chopped very small
- 2 tsp cumin seeds or ground
- To serve
- Creme fraiche
1. Warm a large heavy-based saucepan, add a good splash of oil followed by the onions, celery, carrot and add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Cook the vegetables for a least 5 minutes or until they are starting to soften, on a medium to low heat, mixing now and again.
3. Turn the heat to the lowest and (use a heat defuser if needed) put on a tight fitting lid and cook for at least 20 minutes, the longer and slower you do this the better the flavour.
4. Add the water along with the parsnips, turnips, beetroot, ginger, turmeric and cumin. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
5. Whizz the soup until smooth. If it is too thick, down add some water and bring back to the boil.
6. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.