Chickpea curry with coconut milk. Photograph: Emma Jarvis
- Makes: 1
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp medium or hot curry powder
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes or coconut milk
- 800g cooked chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful of chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
This is a fantastic energy boost, so consider making double this recipe as it will keep well in the fridge; it also freezes well. I find using coconut milk gives it a richness and is good for the soul and is more filling during damp days.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and ginger. Cook slowly for a minute then add the curry powder. Stir and cook for another minute before adding the chopped tomatoes or coconut milk and chickpeas.
2. Bring the mixture to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and cook on a medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and add in the garlic and mix well. Serve with the chopped coriander.