Cheese and stout fondue – the ultimate celebration dish for our country
This dish gives you a great opportunity to use our beautiful cheeses and craft beers
Dip your favourite bread into it and enjoy
- Serves: 4
- 1kg strong cheddar, grated
- 250ml stout
- 4tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1tbsp cornflour
This is from Elizabeth David’s book An Omelette and a Glass of Wine. This is the ultimate celebration dish for our country, using our beautiful cheeses and a great opportunity to use one of our many craft beers.
I often use a mix of cheeses here depending on what I have in the fridge.
1. Put the grated cheese and stout into a fondue dish or a medium saucepan and heat slowly and stir continuously.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the fondue thickens slightly.
3. For dipping, use chunks of your favourite bread. I do like to use a moist treacle brown soda cut into squares.