Beetroot kimchi recipe
Tasty with cheeses, meats or as a topping on noodle and rice dishes
Beetroot kimchi: fermented and flavoursome.
- 3 large beetroots, peeled
- 3 big garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 inches of garlic, chopped
- 3 chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
1. In a food processor – or by hand – grate the beets finely and put in a large bowl, along with the rest of the ingredients.
2. Next, massage all the ingredients together until the juice starts to run from the vegetables. (You might want to wear gloves to stop the beets staining your hands.)
3. Pack the mixture tightly into a preserving jar, filling only 3/4 of the way, as it needs room to ferment. Place a disk of greaseproof paper directly on the beetroot, then place a weight on top to keep the ingredients submerged.
4. Seal with the lid, and leave at room temperature for about four or five days, opening to release the pressure daily.
5. Once it’s done, store in the fridge and use it with cheeses, meats or as a topping on noodle and rice dishes.