Woods suffers minor injuries after car crash


Golf:Tiger Woods suffered minor injuries in a car crash outside his home in Florida after the world number one pulled out of his driveway, struck a fire hydrant, then drove into a tree at his neighbour’s property.

The 33-year-old was later taken to Health Central Hospital in Ocoee where he was “admitted, treated and released in good condition” according to a joint statement released by his office and the hospital.

His agent Mark Steinberg later confirmed Woods was “fine”.

Gary Bruhn, Mayor of Windermere, Florida, said the 14-time major winner suffered facial lacerations.

Bruhn, whose police department responded to the incident, said: “An accident occurred about 2.30am (local time) this morning and Windermere police were first upon the scene because basically we’re right there and can arrive within a minute and a half.

“I understand that there were some facial lacerations and he was taken to Health Central Hospital where he was treated and then I’m told he was released.”

He said he did not know the specifics of the incident but added that the fact that charges were pending was a routine part of any accident investigation.

“Something like this would be just an ongoing investigation,” he said.

“I think it’s nothing more than an accident but from that standpoint they’ve got to let everything run its full course and do the investigation to see what was involved.

“I’m told that could take a number of days to come to its conclusion.”

Bruhn added there was nothing about the situation which appeared unusual.

Woods was driving a 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle when he crashed outside his gated home in Isleworth.

The Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) report read: “Driver had just pulled out of the driveway at his residence... As V1 began to drive on Deacon Circle, V1 struck a fire hydrant.”

“The front of V1 then struck a tree. The driver was transported to Health Central Hospital. The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending.”

The officer used Woods’ full name, Eldrick Tiger Woods, and originally noted that his injuries were “serious”, alcohol was not a factor and that it was unknown whether Woods had been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

The Orlando Sentinelreported that the airbags in the car did not deploy, which it said suggested that the vehicle was travelling at less than 33mph.

Woods recently returned to America after winning the Australian Masters in Melbourne by two shots.

He is scheduled to host his own tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, next week in California.