Dundalk’s winning start goes on as Drogheda held by 10-man Galway

Dundalk maintained their perfect start to against a St Pat’s side who finished with nine men

Dundalk maintained their winning start to the new season with a 3-0 win against a St Pat's side who finished with nine men after an eventful encounter at Oriel Park.

Brian Gartland had them in front before Conor McCormack saw red just ahead of the half time whistle. He was joined in the dressing room by Killian Brennan whose second half dismissal paved the way for David McMillan's brace, seeing off his former club.

After a tentative opening in which the Saints pressing policy looked to be paying off, they were undone by a set-piece on 16 minutes - John Mountney’s corner met by Gartland.

Chris Forrester brought a smart stop out of Gary Rogers and Ronan Finn twice went close but the Saints hopes were dealt a big blow when McCormack picked up a second yellow on the stroke of half time for a foul on Dane Massey.


After a bright start to the second half by the 10 men, their number reduced further when Brennan reacted to his own perfectly-timed tackle on Richie Towell by lifting his hands to the Dundalk man and was instantly shown the red card.

Stephen Kenny’s side added goal number two and three after Brennan’s flashpoint; both coming from McMillan.

The striker first popped up on the edge of the area to volley in another corner kick and followed it up with a simple header five minutes from the end.

St Pat’s are already six points behind Dundalk in the race to reclaim their crown with the Lilywhites yet to concede a goal this season.

Meanwhile Drogheda United played with an extra man for three quarters of their 1-1 draw with Galway United at Eamonn Deacy Park yet still could not prevent surrendering their perfect start to the season.

Galway lost centre-half Sam Oji to a straight red card after 25 minutes when he fouled Tiarnan Mulvenna after failing to get power into a back-header.

Drogheda, trying to build on opening wins over Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers but without flu victim Daryl Kavanagh who scored in both those games, almost equalised from the resultant free-kick but Sean Thornton's effort hit the top of the crossbar.

By that stage Galway, who lost both of their opening games, were ahead when Enda Curran struck low to the bottom right corner of the net after turning neatly inside the box after less than three minutes.

Galway, with Stephen Walsh superb, defended solidly after that as Drogheda came in search of an equaliser.

But they rarely actually threatened the home defence with Neil Yadolahie coming close with a header, while Stephen Maher sent a half volley just the wrong side of the right post nine minutes from time.

Galway held on after that to collect their first points since being promoted and Tommy Dunne will hope his men can now build on this win when they travel to Cork on Tuesday evening.