Bray’s Ryan McEvoy doubles up to keep Limerick bottom

Two equalisers and a brilliant late save from Peter Cherrie earn point for Seagulls

Bray Wanderers 2 Limerick 2

Two equalisers from Ryan McEvoy and a brilliant late save from Peter Cherry prevented Limerick coming off the bottom of the Premier Division table for the first time in five months.

In-form Limerick twice took the lead with strikes from Dean Clarke and Vinny Faherty. On each occasion, Bray midfielder McEvoy levelled with well-taken goals in a cracking game at the Carlisle Grounds.

Bray goalkeeper Cherrie then deprived Limerick victory two minutes into stoppage time with a terrific diving save from substitute Darragh Rainsford’s header.


The result does stretch Limerick’s revival to seven unbeaten matches, but they remain a point adrift at the foot of the table ahead of facing champions Dundalk at home next Saturday.

Despite a bright opening by Bray, which saw half-chances fall to skipper David Cassidy and McEvoy, it was Limerick who stole the lead from their first corner of the game on 18 minutes.

Clarke, picked out by Lee-J Lynch’s sweeping crossfield ball, skipped by several defenders to force Cherrie to bat his shot behind with one hand.

Ian Turner's delivery was then nodded down at the back post by Patrick Kanyuka for the well-positioned Clarke to stab to the net.

The lead lasted a mere 30 seconds, though, as sloppy defending by Limerick was clinically punished.

Central defender Robbie Williams could only half clear a cross by Peter McGlynn. The ball was promptly returned into the area by Graham Kelly for McEvoy to side-foot to the net.

But a sublime goal resorted Limerick’s lead on 35 minutes.

Turner was involved again when putting over a low cross from the right. The finish was stunning as striker Faherty celebrated his player-of-the-month award earlier in the week with a crisp first-time volley from the edge of the area that speared to the bottom corner of the net.

The action continued apace into the second half with Cherrie making a fine save 11 minutes in. Clarke was instrumental with a delightful pull-back to set up Turner, whose low drive was brilliantly turned out for a corner by the foot reflexes of Cherrie.

In end-to-end stuff, Bray almost levelled a minute later. Kelly's ball in from the left picked out Chris Lyons, who drilled narrowly wide of the far post.

Limerick were livid on 61 minutes when no penalty was given after Bray right back Michael Barker certainly looked to have pushed Clarke to the ground inside the area.

Back at the other end, McEvoy had a chance four minutes later, planting a diving header from Daniel O’Reilly’s cross over the top.

But McEvoy made no mistake on 79 minutes when, set-up by Lyons, he swept a left-foot shot to the corner of the net.

BRAY WANDERERS: Cherrie; Barker, McNally, Cooney, O'Reilly; McGlynn (Hanlon, 63), Kelly, Sullivan, McEvoy, Cassidy (Wixted, 90); Lyons.

LIMERICK: Hall; Whitehead, Kanyuka, Williams, Tracy (Rainsford, 85); Lynch (Prince, 85), Duggan; Turner, Russell, Clarke; Faherty.

Referee: Ray Matthews (Westmeath).