Galway forced all the way by North End

Early Keegan goal all that separates sides as non-league side give it their all

Galway United 1 (Keegan 4)
Northg End United 0

Galway United continued their impressive run in cup competitions this season with a less than convincing victory over North End United.

The Wexford side were not out of their depth against a Galway side who made four changes and could have levelled matters late on but Paul Murphy's injury-time effort was smothered by Conor Gleeson.

Tommy Dunne’s men were hot favourites coming into the tie but they didn’t look like that and had to rely on Jake Keegan’s early goal.

Stephen Walsh was a rock at the back for the home side.


Keegan put the hosts in front after just four minutes when he finished from a tight angle.

Ryan Connolly was the provider and his ball found the American who finished from the left with the goalkeeper Lee Walker out of position.

Wonderful ball

Galway looked set to build on their lead after that but their play was sloppy and they had just one more chance in the half. But after wonderful ball in from Connolly, Jason Molloy could only watch on as his snap-shot went off the post and wide.

Meanwhile at the other end Gleeson had nothing to do and the half petered out into a 1-0 lead for Galway.

Enda Curran almost added to Galway's lead in the 54th minute but his shot went inches wide after Keegan had set him up. Shane Dempsey had a couple of chance for North End but their best opportunity came from the boot of Jason Murphy.

He sent in a rasping shot in the 65th minute that had Gleeson beaten but Walsh came to the rescue.

Murphy could have brought his side level again minutes later but his shot went just over the Galway crossbar. Sam Oji missed the final opportunity for Galway but it was a poor effort that summed up the entire match.

GALWAY UNITED: Gleeson; Horgan, Oji, Walsh, Ludden; Shanahan, Sinnott (O'Leary 75), Connolly, Molloy (Byrne 89); Keegan, Curran (Cunningham 66).
NORTH END UNITED: Walker; Broaders (Smith 87), Downes, R Dempsey, Aust; Fenlon (Swords 70), G Dempsey, S Dempsey, K Dempsey; P Murphy; J Murphy (Wadding 76).
Referee: Robert Hennessey (Limerick).