McGeady won't be appealing after all

 

CELTIC MIDFIELDER Aiden McGeady has decided not to appeal against the fine and first-team suspension imposed on him for his dressingroom bust-up with manager Gordon Strachan.

McGeady was docked two weeks' wages and banned from first-team training for the same period after clashing with Strachan in the wake of last month's 1-1 Scottish Premier League draw with Hearts.

The Republic of Ireland international's agent had claimed the 22-year-old would contest the decision. But PFA Scotland yesterday confirmed McGeady, who returned to first-team training just over a week ago, had decided not to appeal against his punishment.

PFA Scotland chief executive Fraser Wishart said: "Aiden McGeady has conducted himself throughout this situation in a thoughtful, measured and mature manner.

"Aiden has rightly taken time to consider his position and will continue to have the full support of PFA Scotland."

McGeady's days as a Celtic player appeared to be numbered following the bust-up, which was not the first time he was reported to have fallen out with Strachan this season.

A January sale looked to be on the cards but yesterday's development suggests the player may yet have a future at Parkhead.

That is despite Strachan's decision to omit McGeady from his squad for Saturday's 2-2 draw with Dundee United.

Meanwhile, Rangers last night confirmed they are prepared to sell top scorer Kris Boyd to Birmingham. The club have rejected a bid of around €3.3 million for the 25-year-old from the English Championship club but will accept an improved offer.

Boyd is coveted by former Rangers boss Alex McLeish, who wants him to boost his current side's strike force at St Andrew's.

Ibrox chairman David Murray told BBC Scotland: "Birmingham have made an inquiry. We talked about money but we haven't agreed a fee and no business will be done today.

"We rejected a bid of around €3.3 million but if they improve it, we'll allow them to speak to Kris Boyd."

The Light Blues rejected a €2.8 million offer from Cardiff before the season started, but reports claim Birmingham will succeed with an offer of around €4.4 million.

Boyd has been Rangers' top scorer for three consecutive seasons, including the 2005-06 campaign, despite joining the club on January 1st.

He has scored 91 goals for the Ibrox side despite struggling to become a regular starter under Paul Le Guen and Walter Smith.

Boyd could become the second striker to leave Ibrox for the midlands this week after Alan Gow's agent revealed his client had reached a deal with Wolves.