The Irish Times has created this privacy statement to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy. The following discloses the information gathering and dissemination practices of The Irish Times.
A user can access our site and utilise a number of our services without providing any information at all. However, all users sign up and/or subscribe for The Irish Times services provide basic contact and demographic information. We develop summary - not individual - reports for our advertisers. The Irish Times will not disclose a user's personally identifiable information to any third party without the user's express permission except where applicable for the purpose of supplying the service for which the user has registered.
Information The Irish Times collects
Information you voluntarily provide
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on the site or mobile applications or by corresponding with us by email, phone or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you sign up to use services on our site, subscribe for other services, place an order through our site, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, email address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
Information we collect about you
Each time you visit our site or use our mobile applications we may automatically collect the following information:
With regard to the mobile applications:
- Technical information, including the type of mobile device you use, unique mobile identifies, such a the devices IMEI number, mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use, the time zone setting,
- Details of your use of our mobile applications including but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- We may also use GPS technology to determine your location. Some of our location enabled services require your personal data for the feature to work. If you wish to use a particular feature you will be asked to specifically consent to your data being used for this purpose.
With regard to the site:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, device type;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); articles, content and products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
With regard to our site and mobile applications we may receive information from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites or mobile applications we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
When you sign up or subscribe for an irishtimes.com service, we will track and aggregate non personal information previously collected about you through our site and mobile applications with the personal information provided when you register.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already subscribed for, purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about, content, goods or services we feel may interest you, subject to your consent. Where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data. You may unsubscribe from any communications by electronic means at any further date;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site and mobile applications is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and mobile applications and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site and mobile applications to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site and mobile applications safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site or mobile applications about content, goods or services that may interest you or them.
- To customize certain features of the services to provide you with an enhanced experience.
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with:
- any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
If The Irish Times Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our TOS.
- We may disclose your information (not personal information) to:Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We may also use aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in county Dublin). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
This site contains links to other sites. The Irish Times is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Where we store your personal data
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100 per cent secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, The Irish Times cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services – you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
Opt-in to receive promotional material
Our site provides users with the opportunity to opt-in to receive promotional/marketing information from The Irish Times, The Irish Times and select third parties via email. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time by following the 'unsubscribe' link at the footer of the email page.
Special interest sites
The Irish Times provides certain services in conjunction with third parties. These third parties have their own security and privacy policies. You are advised to review these separately.
Correcting and updating
The Irish Times offers users the ability to change certain personal identifiable information (e.g. email address) collected during the sign up and/or subscription process for specific services.
If you have any questions regarding this privacy statement or the security practices of The Irish Times, pleases send them to email@example.com.
The playlist – the tunes of the week at OTR HQ