Second toxic fumes victim Stephen Harris dies

Brother Alan Harris died on Wednesday while doing drain maintenance work

 

Stephen Harris, brother of Alan Harris who died after being overcome by toxic fumes, has died at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin.

Alan Harris (45) was doing maintenance work in a drain at a housing estate in Portmarnock in Dublin on Wednesday alongside his brother Stephen (34) when the pair got into difficulties and emergency services were called.

Following unsuccessful attempts at resuscitation, Alan Harris was pronounced dead on the way to hospital. Stephen Harris, from Monasterboice Road in Crumlin, remained in a critical condition following the incident and was pronounced dead at 9am on Friday.

The funeral of Alan Harris will take place in Crumlin on Saturday morning.

The removal from his home in Clonee will take place on Saturday morning, and the procession will arrive at St Agnes’ Church, Crumlin for funeral mass at 10am. The burial afterwards will take place in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Alan Harris was the owner of Draintech, a family-run industrial cleaning business for whom he was working when the tragedy occurred.

Last night, Irish international Robbie Keane paid tribute to the men, who are his cousins, and local football club Clonee United also extended condolences to the Harris family.

Gardaí are due to prepare a file for the coroner’s court following the death, and the Health and Safety Authority are carrying out a separate investigation.