Man arrested after woman struck in face by firework is released without charge

Gardaí say file will be prepared for DPP in relation to incident at Galway’s Eyre Square

A man arrested in relation to an incident at Eyre Square, Galway last month, in which a woman was struck in the face by a firework, has been released without charge.

A file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, gardaí said on Thursday morning.

The man in his 20s was arrested on Wednesday and was detained for questioning at a south Dublin garda station.

The woman was seriously injured as she sat at a bus stop near the taxi rank at the northern end of Eyre Square, shortly after midnight on October 22nd.

Gardaí said the firework was launched from close to the tourist information kiosk on Eyre Square, which is situated across the street from where the woman was sitting. A large group of people were in the area at the time and gardaí appealed for witnesses to come forward, particularly witnesses with phone camera footage.

Tim O'Brien

Tim O'Brien

Tim O'Brien is an Irish Times journalist

READ MORE