Plumber returned for trial over death of woman in Kinsale hotel

Miriam Reidy died from carbon monoxide poisoning while attending a hen party in 2011

A 44-year-old heating and plumbing contractor has been returned for trial by judge and jury on a charge of manslaughter over the death of a woman in a Co Cork hotel.

Miriam Reidy (35) died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas leak at the Trident Hotel, Kinsale on January 9th 2011.

Richard Davis (44) from Serenity, Killanully, Ballygarvan, Co Cork made his third court appearance when he appeared at Kinsale District Court today charged with the manslaughter of Ms Reidy .

State solicitor for south Cork John Brosnan said the DPP had elected for trial on indictment for Mr Davis. Mr Davis is also charged in his capacity as a director of Davis Heating and Plumbing Contractors with two breaches of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005.


Mr Davis’s company, Davis Heating and Plumbing Contractors of Marina Commercial Park in Cork, was charged with two similar breaches of the safety act relating to the conversion of a gas boiler at the Trident on January 4th 2011.

Today Det Sgt Fergal Foley confirmed to the court that he had served the book of evidence in the case on Mr Davis in person and on solicitor Diarmuid O'Shea in respect of Davis Heating and Plumbing Contractors.

Mr Brosnan said the DPP was consenting for a return for trial by judge and jury at the next sittings of Cork Circuit Criminal Court commencing on October 30th at the Washington Street Courthouse in Cork city.

Judge James McNulty granted the application and returned both Mr Davis and his company to appear at Cork Circuit Criminal Court on October 30th. He granted Mr Davis free legal aid for both junior and senior counsel for the case at the circuit court.

All five charges follow an investigation into the death of Miriam Reidy, a native of Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, who was one of a group of 25 friends attending a hen party weekend for her cousin Marie Reidy in Kinsale when the tragedy happened.

Ms Reidy was staying in room 113 in the hotel with her sister Patricia, who also took ill and was taken to Cork University Hospital where she spent over a week before she was discharged.

In June 2011, an inquest into the death of Ms Reidy, who worked with AIB in Killarney, was opened by the coroner for west Cork, Frank O'Connell. Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster gave evidence that Ms Reidy died from acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

Barry Roche

Barry Roche

Barry Roche is Southern Correspondent of The Irish Times