Birr to meet Ballyhale, Cross survive a fright


GAA club round-up/Leinster SHC semi-final: Birr (Offaly) 2-19 St Martin's (Wexford) 2-15 (AET): It took extra-time to separate Birr and St Martin's in the Leinster SHC semi-final but it was the Offaly side who prevailed and earned the right to meet Ballyhale Shamrocks in the final.

Birr failed to scale the heights they had when despatching Ballyboden.

Their opponents battled throughout and were economical with what attacking position and chances they enjoyed - not recording their first wide until the 34th minute - and managed to find scores on each occasion that it looked as if the champions were about to pull clear.

Two late frees from Diarmuid Lyng forced extra-time but Birr pulled clear after the restart with four unanswered points.

Leinster SFC quarter-final replay; Eire Og 0-09 Colmcille 0-08: Fortunate to escape with a second chance in the drawn encounter at Dr. Cullen Park the previous week, Carlow champions Eire Og eventually got the better of Longford opponents Colmcille after extra-time at Pearse Park.

Once again, the sides were deadlocked (0-7 to 0-7) at the end of normal time with both teams missing chances to snatch the winning score in the closing stages.

But all Colmcille could manage in the additional period was a point from impressive midfielder Declan C Reilly who fired over a free and the north Longford outfit were left to rue a missed goal opportunity.

Munster SHC semi-final: Adare 1-11 Toomevarra  0-10: Adare had a lightning start to thank for their progress to the Munster SHC final at the expense of Toomevara at the Gaelic Grounds. 

The Limerick side only managed three points in the second half compared to their opponents' seven but a Liam Costelloe goal after 11 minutes and eight first half points had done the damage.

Conor Fitzgerald was particularly ruthless for Adare scoring six points from four frees, one '65' and another from play.

Adare will meet Waterford side De La Salle after they saw off the challenge of Cork side Sarsfields by 0-18 to 0-16 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

The sides were level for the 11th time after Sarsfields' Pat Ryan pointed his sixth free three minutes from the end, but De La Salle responded with two Brian Phelan to book their place in the final.

Ulster SFC semi-final; Crossmaglen  0-11 St Eunan's 0-8: St Eunan's let an early lead slip against their illustrious opponents who fought back in style to avoid shock at Enniskillen's Brewster Park.

The Donegal champions opened a four point lead early on but the points dried up in the absence of Brendan Devenney and the Armagh side soon found their range with Oisin McConville to the fore.

Corss will face Ballinderry after their 10 point demolition of Cavan Gaels on a scoreline of 0-17 to 0-07.

Kerry SFC final; Mid Kerry 2-08 Kerins O'Rahilly's 2-08: Kerins O'Rahilly's produced an extraordinary comeback from seven points down to force a replay against Mid Kerry in the county final.

When they found their feet yesterday O'Rahilly's were certainly impressive, but the problem is they were fairly legless for the opening half and thus allowed Mid Kerry to steal what looking certain to be a winning advantage.

Mid-Kerry led thanks to two goals in the first half from corner forward Kieran Foley but O'Rahilly's eventually found their feet and the net through Tommy Walsh and his 18 year-old brother Barry John.

Two brilliant points from David Moran then ensured a replay.