Quick homemade kimchi
- Makes: 2
- Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Korean
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 heads of napa (Chinese) cabbage or 1 napa and 1 daikon radish
- 2 carrots
1. Mix the grated ginger, garlic, gochujang paste and fish sauce in a large bowl with the salt.
2. Cut the napa cabbage leaves in half lengthways and then into large bitesize pieces. Add to the bowl.
3. Peel and roughly grate the carrots and add these to the bowl too.
4. Massage everything really well together. The more you mix and fold everything together the more liquid is released from the vegetables.
5. Place a plate on top and weigh it down so it’s pressing on the kimchi. Leave for a few hours at room temperature for more liquid to be released and for the flavours to develop.
6. Pack the kimchi tightly into jars and seal with a lid. You can leave it out on the counter top for a few days to ferment or store in the fridge right away. Either way the flavours will deepen and intensify. Keep in the fridge once you’re happy with how it tastes.