Passionfruit and orange curd cake
- Makes: 1
- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Fusion
- 6 hen eggs or 4 duck eggs
- 215g sugar
- 170g plain flour
- For the orange curd:
- 90ml orange juice
- 90g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 75g butter, cubed at room temperature
- 200ml cream, softly whipped
- 2 passionfruit
- Icing sugar
1. First make the curd. Heat the orange juice and sugar in a pan over a medium heat and stir till the sugar has dissolved.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and egg in a wide bowl. Slowly pour in the hot orange juice while whisking the entire time.
3. Return the mixture to the pan and leave to simmer on a very low heat for 2-3 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, allowing each cube to melt before adding another.
4. Once all of the butter has melted, pour the curd into a jar and place a piece of greaseproof paper on top. Leave to cool completely before placing in the fridge.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Butter and flour two 8-inch sandwich tins.
6. Beat the eggs and sugar until very thick and pale. Carefully fold in the sieved flour.
7. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Remove the fruit from one of the passionfruit and press through a sieve to remove the pips. Mix this with four tablespoons of icing sugar, till smooth. Set aside.
9. Spread one cake with the orange curd, followed by the whipped cream. Top with the second cake. Drizzle with the passionfruit water icing and dust with icing sugar. Serve right away.