Mushroom soup. Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: Irish
- 50g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 small sticks celery, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 litre of the creamiest milk
1. Heat a medium saucepan and melt the butter, add the chopped onion, celery and garlic and season very well with salt and lots of pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat, stirring often. Turn down the heat, place a tight-fitting lid on top and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Next, slice the mushrooms thinly and add to the softened vegetables. Increase the heat and cook the mushroom for a few minutes until they are well reduced down and have released their juices.
3. Lower the heat, taste and add more seasoning if needed, remembering you are going to add milk which needs lots of seasoning to bring the flavour through.
4. Add the milk, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until you are happy with the taste.