Kale salad with tahini soy dressing
- Serves: 6
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Serves six
- 200g curly kale, washed, ribs removed, leaves cut small
- 3 large limes, zest and juice (approx 60ml)
- Half a red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 red pepper, deseeded, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 5 radishes, sliced finely
- Half a red chilli, finely chopped
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- For the tahini soy dressing :
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the chopped kale leaves into a large salad bowl. Remembering to reserve one tablespoon of lime juice for the dressing, pour the lime juice and the zest over the kale. Season with sea salt, stir well to coat and then allow the kale to sit for one hour if possible.
I wear vinyl gloves to massage the lime juice into the kale, working through the kale until the leaves soften. I then drain off any excess lime juice remaining in the bottom of the bowl and stir in the sliced onions.
For the dressing, whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, extra virgin olive oil, honey and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Just before serving, stir the dressing into the salad, followed by the sesame seeds, to fully coat the leaves. Toss the remaining vegetables through the kale, scatter with pomegranate seeds and serve.