Brown sugar meringues
Mix Muscovado and caster for that extra sweetness
Serve meringue sandwiched together with cream and a raspberry couli
- Makes: 12
- Cooking Time: 4 mins
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
- 100g Caster sugar
- 100g Dark Muscovado sugar
- 120g egg whites (about 4)
This is one dessert that never fails to disappoint. Make with the best eggs and sugar, and you can’t go wrong.
1. Set the oven to 70C / gas mark ¼.
2. Mix the two sugars together. Separately, whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks and add ¾ of the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking well before adding the next spoonful. Continue to beat until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Then gently fold in the remaining sugar.
3. Pipe or spoon the mixture on to a baking sheet lined with parchment in 5cm rounds or in 10cm nests, building up the sides if you want to fill them with cream or fruit.
4. Bake slowly in the oven for three hours, until the meringues are dry and crisp.
5. Serve sandwiched together with cream and a raspberry couli