Barbecue seafood platter with piri piri sauce
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- For the seafood:
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- A good handful of parsley, finely chopped
- A good handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 300g clams, cleaned and prepared
- 250g mussels, cleaned and prepared
- 8 prawns
- 8 langoustines
- 6 baby squid, cleaned and prepared
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sourdough bread, to serve
- For the piri piri sauce:
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 long fresh chillies
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for griddling
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Whether you choose to use a variety of seafood or just fish fillets, this same method works every time. Simple, fresh flavours that are brought to life once they hit that hot grill. The piri piri sauce can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to a week or two, but be sure to cover the top with a slick of extra virgin olive oil to seal it before covering with a lid.
Scallops and crab claws are also a nice addition here. To make the piri piri sauce: Place a griddle pan over a high heat while you toss the onion, tomatoes, garlic and chillies in a little oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the vegetables and char them on all sides until softened and caramelised.
Transfer to a food processor along with the vinegar, olive oil, thyme and paprika and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To cook the seafood: In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, garlic, chilli and half the chopped herbs. Add the seafood and toss to combine.
With a hot griddle pan, or over a high heat on the barbecue, cook the marinated seafood. Cook for two-three minutes either side, or until cooked all the way through and the mussel and clam shells have opened completely.
Transfer to a serving platter, top with the rest of the herbs and serve with piri piri sauce and sourdough bread.