1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Quarter two of the tomatoes and leave the remaining four whole. Arrange them in a high-sided roasting tin with the halved garlic bulb. Place the chicken in the middle.
3. Mix two tablespoons of olive oil with the sun-dried tomato pesto. Spread this over the chicken. Roast for 60-90 minutes, depending on size. Keep an eye on the chicken, if it’s browning too quickly then cover the top with a butter wrapper or tent with foil.
4. About 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the two vines of cherry tomatoes and return to the oven till they’re plump and almost bursting.
5. Roast the chicken till the juices run clear. Leave to sit for 10 minutes, covered, before carving.
6. Serve some tomatoes, roast garlic cloves and sauce with each portion of chicken. Scatter with freshly torn basil leaves.