A man has been jailed for eight years for assaulting his then partner’s nine-month-old daughter, who was left with a life threatening skull fracture and other injuries.

A man has been jailed for eight years for assaulting his then partner’s nine-month-old daughter, who was left with a life threatening skull fracture a(...)

A view of the construction site of The National Children’s Hospital. Photograph: Tom Honan

The National Paediatric Hospital Development Board was established by former minister for health Mary Harney in 2007 to oversee the building of nation(...)

Principal investigator at the Infant Centre, Prof Jonathan Hourihane, with a new oral immunotherapy which reduces sensitivity to peanuts. Photograph: Diane Cusack

The threat of children dying from violent reactions to peanuts can be removed using a “game-changer” treatment developed by scientists in Ireland and (...)

Alison with  Lir Playschool owner Kerrie Redford; Dr David Menzies, a consultant in emergency medicine at St Vincent’s Hospital; dad Ben Slater; mum Ruth Kidney holding their younger daughter Emma. Photograph Nick Bradshaw

Alison ate some yogurt. Within 10 minutes, her eyes and lips had swollen and she was vomiting. She was in anaphylactic shock. Within 15 minutes, her(...)

South Park’s Cartman: following the George Hook playbook

I would not argue that the phrase “I’m just asking a question” is a slippery rhetorical device used to inveigle an unsound or offensive opinion into t(...)

There is evidence that exposing infants to a wide range of tastes at an early stage will lead to healthier eating later in life. Photograph: Thinkstock

‘Is this one of the worst wrong turns in the history of parenting advice?” was the rather dramatic introductory sentence in a New Scientist article la(...)

Prof Jonathan Hourihane said the UCC First Responder Anaphylaxis Autoinjector Programme was suspended in 2011 over concerns about administering a prescription-only medicine to a person who had not had that medicine prescribed.  Photograph: Thinkstock

The Government is being urged to legislate for a potentially life-saving anaphylaxis pilot initiative at an Irish university.Allergy expert Prof Jonat(...)

Teenager injecting with Epipen after an attack. Photograph: Getty Images

Twenty minutes after eating a meal during a family get-together in December, 14-year-old Emma Sloan was dead. Suffering from a severe peanut al(...)

Emma Martin with her son, James (10), who has numerous allergies, at their home in Monkstown, Co Dublin. Photographs: Brenda Fitzsimons

The death in Dublin last month of a teenager with a peanut allergy, minutes after suffering a fatal reaction when she mistakenly ate satay sauce, w(...)

Tropical summer fruit salad.

The least scary part of Halloween should be the treats, but for many they are a nightmare. It’s a good idea to think ahead this mid-term break and hav(...)