Morrissey’s winner seals points for Cork

Late goal ensures more misery for Bohemians

Cork City’s Denis Behan celebrates his penalty at Dalymount. Photograph: Morgan Treacy/Inpho

Cork City’s Denis Behan celebrates his penalty at Dalymount. Photograph: Morgan Treacy/Inpho


Bohemians 1 Cork City 2: After two successive defeats, Danny Morrissey’s first league goal for Cork City earned them a welcome win at Dalymount Park as Bohemians endured utter frustration for the second time in a week.

The 19-year-old struck on the counterattack 10 minutes from time, sweeping home at the near post after an incisive break down the left by Danny Murphy who had freed Gearóid Morrissey to cross from the end line.

It was harsh on Bohemians as they had dominated the second half, but could find no way past Mark McNulty who made two crucial saves.

Bohemians switched from the 3-5-2 formation used recently and went with a straight back four with the vastly experienced skipper Owen Heary and Dave Mulcahy in the central defensive positions.

But it was a defence that was a trifle too easily breached on six minutes when Danny Morrissey set up strike partner Denis Behan who volleyed straight into the arms of Dean Delany.

Cork then had a scare of their own a minute later. Andy Mulligan’s low cross was controlled deftly by Chris Lyons who fired into the sidenetting.

Bohemians deservedly took the lead, though from an unlikely source, on 35 minutes.

In attempting to hook clear a Stephen Traynor corner, Cork captain Colin Healy, under pressure from Heary, merely succeeded in toeing the ball into the top corner of his own net.

Healy promptly made some amends minutes later with a terrific block tackle on Lyons after the Bohemians striker turned well inside the area to shoot.

It was a vital interception as Cork were level on 41 minutes. Gearóid Morrissey played a one-two with Behan and was tripped inside the area by Heary. Behan duly blasted home the resulting spot kick.

Bohemians pressed Cork back in the second period and McNulty made two fine saves foiling Traynor’s effort before making the save of the game on 71 minutes to deny Dave Scully.