Úna Leacy pounces for Wexford’s late winner against Cork

Waterford secure first ever senior championship win with victory over Clare

Úna Leacy pounced for a goal on the stroke of time to snatch a 1-9 to 0-9 victory for Wexford over All-Ireland champions Cork in their Liberty Insurance Senior Championship Group 1 tie at Innovate Wexford Park.

Up to that definitive score, Kate Kelly had displayed her enduring sharpness with seven points. Orla Cotter (0-4) opened the scoring for Paudie Murray’s crew but with Kelly so accurate, it was nip and tuck throughout, with the hosts generally keeping their noses in front.

Severe blow

Cork were dealt a severe blow when Ashling Thompson received her marching orders in the 55th minute for a second yellow-card offence, with her side trailing by a point.

Amy O’Connor equalised from a free subsequently but, just when it looked like the spoils would be shared, Leacy exhibited her eye for goal.


The result brought the Wexford women level with Cork at the top of the table and they were joined by Offaly when Adrian Clancy's outfit overcame Limerick in a crunch tie at Kilmallock.

A brilliant defensive effort was central to the 1-16 to 1-10 success, as the midlanders managed to neutralise the threat of Niamh Mulcahy to a significant degree.

Player of the match Tina Hannon struck for a crucial goal and added three points to give Offaly a merited success.

Meanwhile, Waterford secured their first ever senior championship victory with two late points to make it 1-8 to 0-10 against Clare at Walsh Park. A goal by Trish Jackman from a penalty gave the hosts a 1-5 to 0-3 interval lead but Clare renewed their efforts after the resumption and three points from Róisín McMahon edged them into the lead.

Last year’s intermediate champions dug deep though, with Beth Carton equalising before Jackman created history by converting a late 45.

There is still much to decide in Group 2 as Louise O’Hara inspired Dublin to snatch a 0-14 to 2-8 draw with Tipperary at The Ragg.

Derry had a day to forget when suffering a 2-14 to 0-1 defeat at the hands of Galway at St Brendan’s Park, Loughrea.