Martin Reilly’s injury-time point sees Cavan share points with Roscommon

Cavan take command at midfield in the second half with Gearóid McKiernan outstanding

Roscommon 1-11 Cavan 0-14

A marvellous point from a 45 by Martin Reilly in injury time gave Cavan a deserved draw against Roscommon in an exciting, if scrappy, match at Kiltoom.

In a match of swaying fortunes it looked as if Cathal Cregg’s first-half goal would prove to be the decisive score but Cavan took command at midfield in the second-half with Gearóid McKiernan giving a barnstorming display.

In contrast, Roscommon were slow to feed target men Senan Kilbride and Diarmuid Murtagh, and their ponderous build-up play meant they converted just 12 of 40 scoring chances.

Roscommon, starting with 11 of the team who played against Armagh in their last championship match, began strongly and a early goal put them in the ascendancy.


A pinpoint Diarmuid Murtagh pass found Kilbride who got away from Rory Dunne and lofted a pass across the square to Cathal Cregg, who goaled from close range.

The visitors reeled off three points between the 13th and 19th minute from Reilly, Dunne and Dara McVeety and there were two points between the sides at half-time.

Cavan were the better side in the second half, with McKiernan kicking three long-range points to leave the sides level after 43 minutes.

Donie Smith looked to have won the game for the home team following their best move of the match in the 69th minute but Reilly had the final say. ROSCOMMON: D O'Malley; S McDermott, N Carty, N Collins; R Stack, N Daly, C Cafferky; M Healy, C Shine; M Nally, E Smith (0-1), C Cregg (1-0); C Murtagh (0-4, 0-2 frees), S Kilbride, D Murtagh (0-5, 0-4 frees). Subs: U Harney for Cregg (half-time), C Daly for Cafferky, (44 mins), D Murray for Carty (61 mins), D Smith (0-1) for C Murtagh (61 mins), I Kilbride for Nally (67 mins). CAVAN: C Gilsenan; J McLoughlin, R Dunne, K Brady; F Flanagan, K Clarke, R Flanagan; D O'Reilly, G McKiernan (0-4); M Reilly (0-3, one 45), D McVetty (0-2), M McKeever; M Lyng, M Dunne (0-3, all frees), N McDermott. Subs: J Hayes for Brady, B Reilly (0-2) for McKeever (both half-time), J Brady for Lyng (64 mins), T Carr for M. Dunne (68 mins). Referee: Michael Duffy (Sligo).