Laois complete second half comeback to wipe out Galway

Tribesmen held scoreless in the second half at Tuam Stadium

Laois 2-10 Galway 0-10

Laois came from behind to inflict a third successive defeat on Galway in a game where the hosts failed to register a second half score at Tuam Stadium.

This was a crucial Division Two clash for both counties with Laois, who lost their opening two games, finishing strongly to make it five points from their last three outings.

But for Galway this was another major set-back as they surrendered a big lead for the third week in a row and failed to manage a single score against the wind in the second-half.


And to compound matters, both goals came from defensive errors with goalkeeper Brian O’Donoghue being dispossessed after 19 minutes by Donie Kingston, who then tapped the ball into the empty net.

O’Donoghue made amends before the interval with a stunning point blank save from Kingston and the Tribesmen looked good for victory when they led by 0-10 to 1-1 at the interval.

They were without their Corofin contingent but Shane Walsh and Peadar O Griofa were impressive up front after being drafted in.

But Galway fell apart after the restart and Laois, largely through Kingston frees, chipped away at the lead.

Galway lost Under-21 captain Damien Comer to a second yellow card eight minutes from the end, by which stage Laois had reduced the deficit to a point.

Four wides was the sum total of the Galway attacking effort in the second-half and, inevitably, they paid a price when Laois captain Ross Munnelly levelled three minutes from time before Tom Shiel punished sloppy defending when he lobbed home a goal shortly afterwards.

Laois closed out the win with a couple of more points from Kingston and one from substitute Stephen Attride, leaving former Galway manager Tomas O Flatharta pleased with the win.

“We were disappointed ourselves with the performances in the first few games, but in fairness to the lads, they had a lot of endeavour in them all the time and they have worked extremely hard,” he said.

Laois: G Brody; C Begley, M Timmons, D O'Connor; D Strong (0-1), P Begley, R Kehoe; B Quigley, J O'Loughlin; N Donoher, D Kingston (1-5, 0-5 frees), E O'Carroll; R Munnelly (0-3, 0-2 frees), C Boyle, P Kingston.

Subs: B Sheehan for O’Carroll (50 mins), S Attride (0-1) for Boyle (55 mins black card), T Shiel (1-0) for P Kingston (57 mins), J Finn for Munnelly (70 mins).

Galway: B O'Donoghue; J Duane, F Hanley, C Sweeney; P Varley, G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell (0-1); F O Curraoin, P Conroy (0-1, 0-1 free); P O Griofa (0-4, 0-3 frees), D Comer, S Denvir; A Varley (0-1), P Sweeney, S Walsh 0-3, 1f.

Subs: T Fahy for P Varley (51 mins), J Heaney for A Varley (57 mins), E Hoare for P Sweeney (67 mins).

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo)