Lord Henry Mountcharles reveals cancer has returned
‘I’m now on a new drug and it appears to be working its magic’
Lord Henry MountCharles. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill
Slane Castle owner Lord Henry Mountcharles has spoken about his second battle with cancer.
In 2014, Lord Mountcharles had a cancerous lobe removed from his right lung. The growth was found during a biopsy concerning kidney stones.
Lord Mountcharles was given the all-clear last year, but told the Ray Darcy show on RTÉ on Saturday night the cancer had since returned.
“I’ve had a bit of a rough time of late, but thanks to a wonderful medical team in St James’s (hospital, in Dublin), I’m alive and kicking. I had cancer in 2014, surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy and then I had a reprieve. But then just after Christmas I knew I was unwell.
“I went to see my oncologist in St James’s. They took one look at me and said we’re not letting you out of here. They drained six litres of fluid from my lung which is incredible,” he said.
Lord Mountcharles said he is responding well to his cancer treatment and has another grandchild on the way.
“You have to be philosophical about these things to say the least, but I’m now on a new drug and it appears to be working its magic,” he said.
Earlier this year, Lord Henry Mountcharles confirmed there will be no concert in Slane this year. The Co Meath venue hosted the Foo Fighters last year.