Banking inquiry will not publish David Drumm statement

DPP had asked committee not to release contribution from former Anglo chief executive

The Oireachtas banking inquiry has agreed not to publish the written statement provided to it by former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive David Drumm. Photograph: Alan Betson/The Irish Times.

The Oireachtas banking inquiry has agreed not to publish the written statement provided to it by former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive David Drumm. Photograph: Alan Betson/The Irish Times.

 

The Oireachtas banking inquiry has agreed not to publish the written statement provided to it by former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive David Drumm.

The Director of Public Prosecutions had asked the committee not to release the correspondence but the inquiry said it would consider the issue further.

At a meeting on Wednesday it was decided the inquiry would not release the statement.

Some committee members expressed frustration that the statement had been published on websites elsewhere.

“A number of news outlets have published the statement in full and yet we can’t even consider it. It is ridicolous,” said one member.

Mr Drumm provided a lengthy written statement to the committee ahead of a scheduled appearance in July.

In the correspondence, it is understood he apologises to every person in Ireland personally and financially affected by the banking crisis and to the staff who committed to the bank for their job losses and personal and financial hardship.

The statement is understood to have contradicted evidence given by former taoiseach Brian Cowen about a dinner the two attended in April 2008.

Mr Cowen said no business was discussed at the meeting while Mr Drumm is understood to have alleged the pair discussed the National Treasury Management Agency.