Irish man (39) found dead in Wellington Harbour

Police says Finbarr Clabby’s death appears to have been an ‘unfortunate accident’

Google Maps Image: Queens Wharf, Wellington, New Zealand

Google Maps Image: Queens Wharf, Wellington, New Zealand

 

The body of a 39-year-old Galway man was pulled from the water at Wellington Harbour in New Zealand on Sunday.

Finbarr Clabby, who had been living in Wellington for the last eight years, was found on Sunday morning about 10.40am (local time).

It is understood Mr Clabby was last seen in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Members of the public found Mr Clabby’s body near Queens Wharf.

“This appears to have been an unfortunate accident after Mr Clabby had been out socialising with friends on Saturday night” Sgt Shaun Lingard said.

“Mr Clabby’s family have been advised of the incident and have been offered our sincerest condolences”.

The maritime police unit recovered his body from the harbour.

New Zealand police said in a statement there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Sgt Lingard said the matter had been referred to a coroner and a post-mortem would be carried out on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said they were providing consular assistance.