Two Dublin men in court charged with IRA membership

Kevin Braney and Ciaran Maguire brought before Special Criminal Court


Two Dublin men have appeared to before a special sitting of the Special Criminal Court charged with IRA membership.

Kevin Braney and Ciaran Maguire (29) were both arrested on Wednesday by gardaí investigating the activities of dissident republicans.

Mr Braney, who did not give a date of birth, with an address at Glenshane Crescent, Tallaght, Dublin 24 and Mr Maguire, of Kippure Park, Finglas, Dublin 11 were both charged with membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Óglaigh na hÉireann, otherwise the IRA on August 2nd.

Detective Garda Colm Finnerty, of the Special Detective Unit (SDU), told State Solicitor Micheal O’Donovan that he arrested Mr Braney outside Finglas Garda station at 5.41pm on Thursday.

The detective cautioned Mr Braney, to which the accused man made no reply, the court heard.

Det Garda Finnerty said that he informed Mr Braney he was to be brought before the Special Criminal Court and detained him at Finglas Garda station.

He transported Mr Braney to the Special Criminal Court, the court heard, and showed him the charge sheet.

No reply

Again, Mr Braney made no reply, Det Garda Finnerty said.

During the brief hearing, Mr Braney sat in a blue, polo-necked T-shirt. When asked by the court’s registrar to stand up, he remained seated.

Asked if he was Kevin Braney, he did not reply.

Detective Garda Ronan Judge (SDU) told Mr O’Donovan that at 5.42pm on Thursday, he arrested Mr Maguire, informing him that he was to be brought before the next sitting of the Special Criminal Court.

The detective said that, at the time of the arrest, he believed Mr Maguire had committed the offence.

The judges heard that Mr Maguire was transported to the Special Criminal Court, where the detective handed him a copy of the charge sheet.

Mr Maguire made no reply, the court heard.

Wearing a grey hoodie, the accused man did not stand up when requested by the registrar. He also remained silent when asked to confirm his identity.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, sitting with Judge Patricia Ryan and Judge Gerard Haughton, remanded the two men in custody until next Thursday, August 10th, when bail applications are expected to be made.