Sligo defeat Glentoran to progress into Setanta Cup semi-final

Goals from Cretaro, Lynch and Martin seal 8-0 aggregate victory

Glentoran 0 - 3 Sligo Rovers

Setanta Cup

Glentoran’s Mark Clarke and Sligo's Pascal Millien. Photograph: Presseye/Inpho

Date: 11 March, 2013

Venue: The Oval

Tue, Mar 12, 2013, 06:00


Sligo were never really extended as they marched into the semi-final with a comfortable win over Glentoran in Belfast last night. The home side fielded an experimental and largely youthful side and the fact the tie was over following Sligo’s 5-0 win in the first leg was reflected in the size of the crowd. On a bitterly cold night in Belfast less than 100 people braved the elements.

Sligo were first to show after just three minutes when Cretaro raced into the space behind the defence for a one-on-one with Glentoran reserve goalkeeper Aaron Hogg. The big goalkeeper could only look on helplessly as Cretaro danced around him but his shot at an empty goal struck the post and rolled away to safety. Anxious to atone Cretaro tested the goalkeeper again three minutes later but Hogg dived low to save.

Sligo made it third time lucky when midfielder Lynch picked up the ball 35 yards from goal and rifled home with Hogg clutching air. It was a stupendous strike which put Sligo one up and 6-0 ahead on aggregate.

John McGuigan registered the home side’s first shot which flew wide after 12 minutes. Within 60 seconds Sligo goalkeeper Gary Rogers was called in to action when he pushed away Martin Murray’s well-struck effort. However the Glens glee was short lived when Cretaro knocking in Sligo’s second on 25 minutes.

Sligo coast
As the half wore on the youthful Glentoran side began to look more comfortable with Murray’s trickery and Andy Waterworth’s pace causing Sligo some concern. But the reality was that the visitors were coasting and for all Glentoran’s honest endeavour they were offering nothing in the final third.

That changed after the break when Rogers showed his worth with a couple of fine saves in a five-minute spell just after the hour mark. The first came after 62 minutes from Jimmy Callacher when Murray was upended just outside the box. Up stepped Callacher to blast a free kick which seemed destined for the top corner before Rogers distinguished himself with a top class save.

Three minutes later he made another excellent when Murray let fly from 25 yards.

However Sligo had the last laugh when sub Liam Martin, on for Cretaro after 59 minutes, made it 3-0 with five minutes left. He cut in from the right and his low shot roared past Hogg to leave the tie as an 8-0 aggregate win for the visitors.