West Ham blitz Bournemouth with three goals in 17 minutes

Wayne Hennessey’s howler gifts Aston Villa first Premier League win since August

Bournemouth 1 West Ham 3

West Ham scored three goals in 17 second-half minutes to secure a fine comeback Premier League victory at Bournemouth.

The Cherries appeared on course for victory after Republic of Ireland international Harry Arter opened the scoring with 17 minutes gone.

But Dimtri Payet hauled the visitors level with a magnificent free-kick shortly after the hour mark, before Enner Valencia netted twice to see West Ham triumph 3-1, their third consecutive league victory.


In Bournemouth’s first Premier League game under the lights, it was West Ham who enjoyed the best of a scrappy opening.

Mark Noble blazed his effort over after a sloppy header from Simon Francis, before the Bournemouth defender made amends with a good clearance underneath his own bar following fine work from Andy Carroll on the right.

It was to be the injury-prone forward’s last contribution. The 27-year-old, making only his seventh league start of the season, was left on the floor holding his left leg after just 12 minutes and moments later was hobbling down the tunnel shaking his head with his match over.

How long he will be sidelined for this time remains a mystery, but West Ham boss Slaven Bilic soon had more pressing matters when Bournemouth took the lead after 17 minutes.

Arter let fly from 20 yards and goalkeeper Adrian, diving low to his right, could only palm the ball into his own net.

The midfielder was celebrating his first Premier League goal and suddenly the momentum was with Bournemouth.

Benik Afobe, who scored 23 goals in 48 games for Wolves, headed over the bar from six yards, before Charlie Daniels’s fizzing effort was palmed away by Adrian.

Afobe then found himself with only Adrian to beat after a fine through-ball from Junior Stanislas, but the former Arsenal striker fluffed his lines and a grateful Adrian collected the ball.

On the stroke of half-time Artur Boruc was at full stretch to tip Payet's shot over the bar to ensure the Cherries headed into the interval with the advantage in what was the visiting side's first real effort on goal.

After the break, Bournemouth seemed content to sit back and it was West Ham who enjoyed more of the ball, but without the goal threat of Carroll failed to test Boruc.

That was until Payet’s moment of magic shortly after the hour mark. His curling free-kick left Boruc with no chance and his effort crashed in on the underside of the bar.

West Ham were buoyant and they took the lead seven minutes later after the brilliant Payet teed up Valencia, who could not miss from eight yards.

Bournemouth were left stunned and they failed to muster a clear chance in the remaining 16 minutes. Indeed it was Valencia who put the icing on the West Ham cake, with the second brilliant free-kick of a fine night for Bilic’s men.

Aston Villa 1 Crystal Palace 0

Wayne Hennessey’s howler gifted Aston Villa their first Premier League win since August as they edged out Crystal Palace.

The goalkeeper fumbled Joleon Lescott's second-half header into his own net as Remi Garde claimed his first victory at the 11th attempt.

It was also redemption for Lescott, who was accused of playing a game with chewing gum, to the fury of fans, while a substitute during Saturday’s 1-1 FA Cup draw at Wycombe.

And the defender gave Villa much to chew over, even if their first home league win of the campaign failed to lift them off the bottom of the table.

It closed the gap to safety to eight points and was just their second league victory of the season, coming 156 days after the first, but it was deserved after a brave performance.

The claret and blues require a monumental effort to survive but, on this evidence, at least they will go down fighting.