City held, Villa keep dropping


Premier League Review:Manchester City failed to cut the gap on Premier League leaders Manchester United to two points after being held to a goalless draw at rock-bottom QPR.

The defending champions had the opportunity to put the pressure on their city rivals, with the Red Devils in action tomorrow night, but found Julio Cesar in fine form.

Gareth Barry and David Silva both saw their efforts fantastically saved by the former Inter Milan goalkeeper, while Pablo Zabaleta’s header from Silva’s cross came back off the crossbar.

Adel Taarabt wasted QPR’s best chance of the match when he saw his shot well saved by Joe Hart after bursting through on goal.

While the hosts remain rooted to the foot of the table, they are now just two points behind Reading.

Newcastleheld off a spirited second-half resistance from Aston Villato move four points clear of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win at Villa Park.

Toon boss Alan Pardew fielded two of his four new French signings and one of them, Moussa Sissoko, played in striker Papiss Cisse, who took a touch and slotted low past Brad Guzan in the 19th minute.

The visitors looked to be cruising to their first away victory in any competition this season when Yohan Cabaye magnificently volleyed into the top corner from 25 yards just after the half hour.

Villa were booed off at half-time, prompting beleaguered boss Paul Lambert to make two changes, with Gabriel Agbonlahor and Andreas Weimann replacing Joe Bennett and Darren Bent.

And the changes seemed to pay dividends as they won a penalty after Mathieu Debuchy was adjudged to have tripped Agbonlahor on the edge of the penalty area, with Christian Benteke sending Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul the wrong way in the 49th minute.

Krul, however, made several fine saves thereafter as Villa desperately pressed for an equaliser.

It was not be and they now occupy the final relegation place after second-half goals from James McArthur and Franco Di Santo helped Wiganrescue a 2-2 draw at Stoke.

The Potters looked firmly on course for the first Premier League win in five matches when Ryan Shawcross volleyed them ahead in the 23rd minute before Peter Crouch doubled their lead after Charlie Adam’s strike had been parried by Latics goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi shortly after half-time.

But Wigan showed their battling qualities and halved the deficit almost immediately when McArthur coolly finished after running through on goal before Di Santo secured a well-earned point when he rifled into the net from McArthur’s knockdown.

Sunderlandtarget Danny Graham almost gave Swanseaall three points in their clash at the Stadium of Light but the two teams had to settle for a goalless draw.

Graham, a 74th-minute substitute, looked set to fire home from point-blank range but Titus Bramble’s valiant interception saved a point for the hosts

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Screen Name Selection


Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.