Israel Folau launches court action against Rugby Australia

Former Wallabies star reportedly seeking €6 million in damages after being sacked

Israel Folau has launched court proceedings against Rugby Australia. Photograph: Joel Carrett/EPA

Israel Folau has launched court proceedings against Rugby Australia. Photograph: Joel Carrett/EPA

 

Israel Folau has formally launched Federal court proceedings against Rugby Australia and the New South Wales Waratahs over his dismissal for a code of conduct breach, the former Wallabies fullback said on Thursday.

Folau’s four-year contract was torn up in May after he posted a meme on social media that said hell awaited ‘drunks, homosexuals, adulterers’ and other groups.

“Unfortunately, our conciliation before the Fair Work Commission did not resolve the matters between us and I have been left with no choice but to commence court action,” the statement read.

Folau, a fundamentalist Christian, and his supporters have painted the issue as one of freedom of speech and the case could have ramifications for employee rights.

A Rugby Australia tribunal found Folau had made a “high-level breach” of its code of conduct, which demands players treat “everyone equally, fairly and with dignity”.

Folau, who was one of the Wallabies’ few world class players, had been expected to play a key role in the team’s World Cup campaign starting in Japan next month.

He has hired a high-power legal team and raised a $2 million (€1.24m) war-chest from supporters via a Christian lobby group to fund the proceedings.

“I’ve been blessed to have the support from tens of thousands of Australians throughout my journey and I want to say thank you to everyone who has offered their prayers and their support,” Folau said in a video posted on Youtube.

“It has meant so much to (wife) Maria and me over the last few months and gives us strength for the road ahead.”

In June, Folau and Rugby Australia entered mediation at a Fair Work Commission hearing, the first step in an unfair dismissal case, but there was no resolution after a nearly four-hour meeting.

The 30-year-old is seeking €6m in compensation for foregone sponsorship and future contract income from RA and his former Super Rugby side, the Waratahs.

RA were unable to provide immediate comment.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.