US calls for Yemen ceasefire and negotiations
Secretary of state Mike Pompeo says UN-led talks to end the fighting should begin next month
Yemenis bury the body of a Houthi militia member allegedly killed in ongoing fighting in the war-torn Arab country, at a cemetery in Sana’a, Yemen. Photograph: Yahya Arhab/EPA
In a statement, Mr Pompeo said missile and drone strikes by Iran-allied Houthi rebels against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates should stop, and the Saudi-led coalition must cease air strikes in all populated areas of Yemen.
Yemen is one of the poorest Arab countries and faces the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, exacerbated by a nearly four-year-old war that pits the Houthis against the internationally recognised government backed by Saudi Arabia, the UAE and the West.
“The time is now for the cessation of hostilities, including missile and UAV strikes from Houthi-controlled areas into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates,” Mr Pompeo said, using an acronym for unmanned aerial vehicles.
“Subsequently, coalition air strikes must cease in all populated areas in Yemen,” he added.
The United States helps the coalition by refuelling its jets and providing training in targeting. Mr Pompeo said last month that he had certified to the US Congress that Saudi Arabia and the UAE were working to reduce civilian casualties in Yemen.
Three-quarters of Yemen’s population, or 22 million people, require aid and 8.4 million people are on the brink of starvation.
Both Mr Pompeo and US defence secretary Jim Mattis voiced support for the UN effort.
Mr Mattis, addressing a forum in Washington on Tuesday, defended US efforts to help reduce casualties by the Saudi-led coalition and said all sides needed to take meaningful steps toward a ceasefire and negotiations in the next 30 days.
Mr Mattis added that the Saudis and Emiratis appeared ready to embrace efforts by Griffiths to find a negotiated solution to the conflict.
“We’ve got to move toward a peace effort here. And we can’t say we’re going to do it sometime in the future. We need to be doing this in the next 30 days,” Mr Mattis said.
Mr Pompeo said the consultations planned by Griffiths should start in November “to implement confidence-building measures to address the underlying issues of the conflict, the demilitarisation of borders, and the concentration of all large weapons under international observation.”
A cessation of hostilities and resumption of a political track would help ease the humanitarian crisis, Mr Pompeo said. – Reuters