Cameron Reilly murder: 18-year-old man arrested

Body of strangled teenager found last month in field where young people in the area meet

Gardaí are questioning a teenager in connection with the murder of Cameron Reilly.

While several people were at the scene when the victim was fatally strangled, the suspect (18) arrested this morning is being questioned over his alleged direct involvement in the killing.

It is the first arrest in the case and Garda sources described it as significant.

On May 26th a person walking a dog found the remains of the 18-year-old victim in a field in Dunleer, Co Louth.


The spot where the body was found is a popular location for young people to congregate. Gardaí believe a group of teenagers had gathered there and were drinking and taking drugs the night before the remains were discovered.

And at some point during the early hours of May 26th Mr Reilly was attacked and strangled.

Gardaí had information suggesting Cameron was alive at the location, off Ardee Rd, just into the early hours of Saturday, May 26th.

When his body was found at about 8am on that day and he had been dead for several hours. Garda appeals for information have focused on encouraging teenagers who had been in the dead teenager’s company at any point during the night and into the early hours to come forward.

While gardaí believe some of the teenagers had dispersed by the time the killing occurred, they have also been working on the theory that Mr Reilly was with at least two people when he was fatally attacked.

Garda sources believe some of the young people who had information were too fearful to come forward initially.

However, the inquiry has progressed in recent weeks and this morning a suspect was arrested.

The teenager being questioned was arrested in Dunleer this morning. He was being questioned under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984, at Drogheda Garda station.

The suspect, who knew Mr Reilly, can be questioned for up to 24 hours without charge. Although a large number of people have been interviewed in relation to the death this is the first arrest.

Part of the investigation to date has focused on whether a confrontation outside a chip shop in Dunleer earlier that night was linked to the murder.

Gardaí have also searched extensively for Mr Reilly’s phone - an iPhone 8 with green hard back cover - which they believe could hold vital clues about his last movements and who was at the scene of his death.

They believe it may have been stolen to cover up the killing. The phone has not been found. Gardaí have asked home and business owners in Dunleer to check their property, including wheelie bins and waste skips, for the phone.

“We would also ask anyone offered a phone for sale as described to contact us,” a Garda spokesman said. Louth Fire and Rescue Service also helped to drain the reservoir in Dunleer in a bid to find the phone. Gardaí have downloaded CCTV footage from several areas around the town in an effort to track Mr Reilly’s final movements.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Drogheda Garda station on 041-9874200, the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

Conor Lally

Conor Lally

Conor Lally is Security and Crime Editor of The Irish Times