Jamie Clarke’s late scores help Armagh skip past Tipperary

Niall Grimley slots over eight points as Kieran McGeeney’s side march on

Tipperary 1-15 Armagh 1-17

Kieran McGeeney’s Armagh have extended their interest in this year’s championship by knocking out last year’s All-Ireland semi-finalists Tipperary in Thurles.

In front of 6,823 spectators at Semple Stadium, Niall Grimley landed eight points and Jamie Clarke scored 1-1 late on to edge the Orchard men home.

Clarke’s 61st minute point had Armagh ahead for the first time in the game and while Tipp hit back to level, the Crossmaglen maestro netted on the counter-attack in the final minute to seal the deal.


Tipp battered on Armagh's door late on, as All-Star Michael Quinlivan tried his luck with two frees, but the visitors held firm.

Referee Paddy Neilan needed a Garda escort off the pitch at full-time and he didn't endear himself to both sets of fans with a frankly puzzling performance.

His application of the advantage rule was average at best and blatant frees were missed, or simply not given.

Ultimately, however, it was a barren 20-minute spell that cost Tipp dearly, allowing Armagh to gain a stranglehold.

Quinlivan rammed home a stunning 38th-minute goal but Tipp didn’t raise another flag until the 58th minute.

Tipp led by 0-10 to 0-8 at the end of the first half, a good run approaching the break handing the hosts some breathing space.

Armagh felt they should have had a 19th minute goal but Neilan bizarrely disallowed Gavin McParland’s strike, calling play back for a foul on the forward.

Rory Grugan tapped over but Armagh were aggrieved, feeling they should have had three points, and not just one.

But they wouldn’t panic and, wind-assisted, won the second half by 1-9 to 1-5.

Tipp also needed goalkeeper Ciarán Kenrick to deny Andrew Murnin with a brilliant save, shortly after Quinlivan's strike.

TIPPERARY: C Kenrick; A Campbell, P Codd, E Moloney; B Maher, R Kiely, J Feehan; L Casey (0-2), G Hannigan; J Keane (0-4, two frees), K O'Halloran (0-2, one free), B Fox (0-1); C Sweeney (0-3, all frees), M Quinlivan (1-0), J Kennedy (0-2, both frees).

Subs: P Austin (0-1) for Hannigan (h/t), Hannigan for Kennedy (b/c, 48 mins), L Boland for Moloney (48 mins), D Foley for O'Halloran (70+2 mins), L McGrath for Boland (64 mins).

ARMAGH: B Hughes; G McCabe (0-1), J Morgan, C Vernon; B Donaghy, P Hughes, A Forker (0-1); S Sheridan (0-1), N Grimley (0-8, five frees, one 45); C O'Hanlon, M Shields, R Grugan (0-2, one free); G McParland (0-2), A Murnin, J Clarke (1-1).

Subs: J McElroy for McCabe (inj, 28 mins), S Campbell (0-1) for O'Hanlon (47 mins), C McKeever for Clarke (70+3 mins), E Rafferty for Murnin (70+8 mins).

Referee: P Neilan (Roscommon)