Bohs drifting dangerously close to relegation after latest loss

Meanwhile Galway United condemned Bray Wanderers to a fourth consecutive defeat

Sligo Rovers 1 Bohemians 0

Ten-man Sligo Rovers clung on for a hard-earned three points against wasteful Bohemians at the Showgrounds on Saturday.

An own goal that seemed to come off Dave Mulcahy under pressure from Liam Martin on 19 minutes proved the difference between the sides.

Rovers centre-back Mick Leahy was red-carded in the 64th minute after picking up his second yellow card.


And Bohs created numerous chances throughout, with Roberto Lopes hitting the post after just 90 seconds.

Further first half chances fell to Lopes, Ismahil Akinade and Eoin Wearen, while Keith Buckley, Akinade, Lopes again and substitute Jake Kelly all had great chances in the second half, but failed to beat man of the match Micheal Schlingermann.

Bohs boss Keith Long felt his side created more than enough chances to take all three points.

He said: “We were creating chances before the sending-off. That was not a factor. Their keeper has kept them in the game.

“Ultimately we lost the game to a bad goal for us to concede. But I can’t fault the players. They worked really hard and we created enough openings to win two games.

“I have said to the players if we continue to play in that vein, we will turn things around very quickly.”

SLIGO: Schlingermann, Adebayo-Rowling, Leahy, Boylan, Donelon, Roddan, Keohane, Sadlier, Martin, Cretaro (Clancy 65), Roberts (Russell 61 (Richards 85)).

BOHEMIANS: Delany, Pender, Prendergast (D Byrne 38), Mulcahy, Fitzgerald, Ben Mohamed, Lopes (Hayes 78), Wearen, Buckley (Kelly 71), Kavanagh, Akinade.

Referee: P McLaughlin.

Bray Wanderers 1 Galway United 2

A stunning free kick from Eric Foley and Marc Ludden’s first goal for the club moved Galway back up to fifth in the Premier Division table as they got back to winning ways at the Carlisle Grounds.

While a fourth successive defeat for Bray means they remain second from bottom.

It might have been different though if manageress Wanderers had given themselves the ideal start with the lead goal inside two minutes. Ryan Brennan put Hugh Douglas’ cross back across goal to set up Ger Pender who somehow shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Winning the midfield battle, Galway soon took a grip on the game and deservedly took the lead on 19 minutes.Vinny Flaherty was fouled by Douglas to win a free kick which Foley despatched superbly, finding the far top corner of Peter Cherrie’s net.

It might have been 2-0 four minutes later but for Ruairi Keating blazing way off target after Ludden’s ball over the top put him through.

Though Galway remained the better side, it was Conor Winn who ensured his side remained ahead at the interval with a terrific double save on 42 minutes. First batting away a Brennan shot with one hand, Winn then touched Robbie Creevy’s follow-up header onto his crossbar and out for a corner.

Galway were inches from doubling their lead three minutes into the second half when Foley’s crisp drive shaved a post after Kevin Devaney cut in from the let to set him up. With Bray chasing the game, the woodwork then rescued Galway just past the hour mark, Dylan Connolly arcing a right-foot shot off the visitors’ bar.

Devaney continued to cause Bray problems though and he weaved in again from the left on 67 minutes to force Cherrie to put the ball out for a corner at the butt of his post.

Again the woodwork would thwart Bray back at the other end minutes later when Bennan’s free kick bounced over off the top of Winn’s bar.

But Galway doubled their lead on 76 minutes when Ludden caught Cherrie off his line to score from 40 yards after Douglas blocked away Devaney’s drive.

Bray rallied late on with substitute Andrew Lewis pulling a goal back with a close range volley on 91 minutes, but Galway held on for a big win.

BRAY WANDERERS: Cherrie; Douglas, Kenna, McNally, Marks; Connolly, Salmon (Kelly, 59), Creevy, Moore; Brennan; Pender (Lewis, 75).

GALWAY UNITED: Winn; Horgan, Aganovic, Walsh (Cantwell, 62), Ludden; Shanahan, Byrne, Foley, Devaney; Keating (Devers, 90+5), Faherty (Sinnott, 86).

Referee: Adrian Reale (Kildare).