League of Ireland round-up: Dundalk hold on to eight-point lead

Bottom-of-the-table Limerick maintained their remarkable recovery against St Pat’s

Despite being held to a 2-2 draw by Sligo Rovers at Oriel Park, Dundalk maintained their eight-point lead at the top of the Premier Division table.

Attacking midfielder Ronan Finn twice put the champions ahead with well-taken goals in the 16th and 61st minutes, the second a terrific strike.

Dinny Corcoran levelled the scores on the first occasion three minutes into the second half before right-back Alan Keane’s shot from distance equalised a second time.

Though now unbeaten in four league games under Micky Adams, results elsewhere meant Sligo drop back into the relegation play-off place.

Second-placed Cork City also had to settle for a point as they were held scoreless by a dogged Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds.

A first goal for the club from Gareth McCaffrey saw Shamrock Rovers come from behind as they drew 1-1 with Bohemians at Tallaght Stadium.

Bohemians took a 26th minute lead from a scrappy Ismahil Akinade goal.

The better side, Rovers were deservedly level on 51 minutes when 19-year-old McCaffrey latched onto a loose pass from Bohemians’ captain Dave Mulcahy to run on and drill a shot to the corner of the net.

Bottom-of-the-table Limerick maintained their remarkable recovery with a 3-1 win over St Patrick's Athletic at Markets Field, despite playing for over an hour with ten men.

It was Martin Russell’s side’s fifth win from their last six games, though they remain two points adrift at the foot of the table.

A free kick from in-form winger Ian Turner put Limerick ahead on 12 minutes before an off the ball incident 15 minutes later resulted in home defender Shaun Kelly being sent off.

Undeterred, Limerick doubled their lead a minute before the interval through striker Vinny Faherty.

Four minutes into the second half, Turner struck again when heading home Dean Clarke’s cross.

James Chambers got disjointed St Patrick’s consolation goal on 81 minutes as they slumped to a fifth successive defeat.

Jake Keegan scored a hat-trick as Galway United beat Longford Town 4-2 at Eamonn Deacy Park for a first win in seven games.

New Yorker Keegan got on the end of free kicks to score in the 18th and 61st minutes to put Galway in control. Gary Shanahan made it 3-0 on 67 minutes before Keegan completed his hat-trick three minutes later.

Dean Kelly then hit back twice for Longford, the second an 89th minute penalty.

Mark Kinsella got his reign as Drogheda United interim manager off to the perfect start as they ended a run of eight league games without a win to beat Derry City 2-0 at the Brandywell to move out of the relegation play-off place.

Midfielder Sean Thornton headed home Lloyd Buckley’s cross to put Drogheda in front three minutes before half-time.

Drogheda got their second goal against the run of play on 76 minutes, Jason Marks picking his spot after Adam Whelan had done well to pull the ball back across goal.

Latest Stories