Conor Gleeson’s goal helps The Nire to convincing Munster championship victory

Limerick champions Ballylanders outgunned at Kilmallock

The Nire 1-11 Ballylanders 0-7

Though they had two players black-carded Waterford champions, The Nire, cruised to a comfortable win in the Munster club football championship at Kilmallock.

No Limerick club has won a game in this competition since 2008. Ballylanders started without their top scorer, Kieran O'Callaghan, but though he was brought in for the second half he could do little to halt the march of the Waterford champions.

Having weathered an early storm, The Nire moved into a 0-3 to 0-0 lead thanks to points from Brian Wall, Jamie Barron and a Shane Ryan free after eight minutes.


A well-struck Danny Frewen point renewed hope for Ballylanders but after a point by Diarmuid Wall, The Nire struck for the game's only goal. Waterford minor star Conor Gleeson wriggled his way through to blast a powerful shot past Ricky Slattery.

By halftime The Nire led 1-7 to 0-3 and they had eased on to I-11 to 0-5 when Maurice O'Gorman was black-carded after 48 minutes. He was replaced by Keith Guiry who in his first involvement wasted a great goal chance.

Craig Guiry had been shown a black card by referee Conor Lane after 29 minutes but this did not deflect from a quality display by the Nire who had eight different scorers.

Goalkeeper Tom Wall made one great save to deny Donal Kelly a goal while Brian 'Connell and Danny Frewen also went close. Jimmy Barry Murphy scored four points for the outgunned Limerick side.

BALLYLANDERS: R Slattery; M Kelly, Shane Fox, G Casey; B O'Connell, D Kelly, S Walsh; Johnny Murphy, T Lee; M O'Connell (0-1), JB Murphy (0-4 , 0-2f), J Kirby; Steven Fox, E Walsh, D Frewen (0-2, 0-1f). Subs: K O'Callaghan and T Fox for Kirby and Casey (h-t), R McCarthy for Kelly (50 mins), J Lee for B O'Connell (56 mins).

THE NIRE: T Wall; J Walshe, T O'Gorman, T Cooney; D Wall (0-1), B Wall (0-1), S Lawlor; C Guiry (0-1), S Walsh (0-1); Michael O'Gorman, Maurice O'Gorman, J Barron (0-2); L Lawlor, S Ryan (0-2, 0-1f), C Gleeson (1-2). Subs: M Moore (0-1) for C Guiry (bc), J Guiry for Justin Walsh (40 mins), K Guiry for Maurice O'Gorman (bc, 48), D Ryan for Barron (55).

Referee: C Lane (Cork).