Search resumes in Irish Sea

 

A search and rescue mission in the air and at sea has resumed in the Irish Sea after a trawlerman fell overboard yesterday.

The man, believed to be in his 30s and a foreign national, was reported missing from the Zenith fishing boat about nine miles off Clogherhead in Co Louth.

The boat is registered in the fishing village of Kilkeel in Co Down.

The Irish Coast Guard raised the alarm at 1.05pm and the Marine Rescue Co-ordination Centre called in the local RNLI crew, a rescue helicopter and a second lifeboat relief crew.

The Clogherhead RNLI crew, which is co-ordinating the search locally, said other vessels which had been in the region are helping the search.

Elsewhere, the search is continuing today for two missing fishermen in west Cork after an extensive search of Glandore Bay over the weekend by more than 90 divers failed to find any trace of them.

On Saturday 78 civilian divers responded to an appeal by Caitlin Ní hAodha for volunteer divers to help search for her husband, Michael Hayes (52), and Egyptian Said Mohammed (23).

Yesterday 68 civilian divers joined 16 Naval Service and Garda divers to search for the men who have been missing since the Tit Bonhomme sank on January 15th.