Chemical alert after truck fire

 

A fire on a truck containing chemicals caused a major alert in a north Dublin housing estate early this morning. At the height of the incident gardai were standing by to evacuate families from 20 houses at Claremont Crescent, Glasnevin.

A local woman and her child, as well as four firemen and two members of an ambulance crew, were overcome by fumes and they were taken to the nearby Mater Hospital for treatment. It is understood their condition is not serious but all were detained for observation.

The vehicle, which was parked in the estate, was carrying three chemical substances which are safe on their own but which could be dangerous as a combination. Early this morning an expert examined the scene and declared it safe.

The fire broke out about 11 o'clock last night and was brought under control quickly.