Cork City suffer first league defeat of the season against Bohs

George Poynton converted the winning penalty after Ismahil Akinade was fouled

Cork City 0 Bohemians 1

Cork City suffered their first league defeat of the season as a penalty from George Poynton in the 62nd minute gave Bohemians victory at Turner's Cross last night.

Keith Long's side move to within a point of Bray Wanderers in sixth with this win, Poynton netting after Ismahil Akinade was fouled by Conor McCarthy after the hour. While City pressed hard for a late levelling goal, bringing on Kieran Sadlier and Connor Ellis, they couldn't find a way past Shane Supple.

The hosts made four changes from their 2-1 win over Galway United on Friday night, as Conor McCarthy, Greg Bolger, Jimmy Keohane and Achille Campion replaced Alan Bennett, Gearoid Morrissey, Conor McCormack and Kieran Sadlier. Bohs, who had beaten Derry City, made three alterations: Rob Cornwall, George Poynton and Ismahil Akinade came in for Dan Byrne, Dinny Corcoran and Patrick Kavanagh.


The visitors were forced into another alteration just 11 minutes in, as Cornwall’s defensive partner Warren O’Hora found his head in the way of Jimmy Keohane’s long-range effort and had to be stretchered off, with Byrne coming on.

After early half-chances at each end, City looked to be finding their rhythm as Bolger’s lovely outside-of-the-boot pass found Sheppard on the run, but his effort was well-saved by Supple on 15 minutes.

Five minutes later, Campion went close from a low Shane Griffin cross following a corner while Keohane was unable to get enough on Steven Beattie's delivery, but Bohemians were creating chances of their own too.

Oscar Brennan drew a save from Mark McNulty in the 26th minute and on the half-hour mark Ciarán O'Connor dispossessed McCarthy, but his effort didn't trouble McNulty. After Sheppard's header drew a save from Supple, following Keohane's good cross, Akinade had another great chance for Bohs, a mazy run giving him an opening but once again McNulty saved.

A good Poynton challenge on Dooley in the area in injury time ensured that it remained scoreless at half-time, but City should have had the lead within 10 seconds of the resumption. Again, Bolger’s vision was central as he picked out Campion with a ball from deep, but his flailing header was agonisingly wide.

Keith Ward was just over with a Bohs free, but a home opening goal looked more likely as Buckley headed just off-target from Griffin's cross while Campion did well to create space on the left, Supple again providing a good stop.

Two minutes later though, it was Bohs who were given a golden opportunity as McCarthy fouled Akinade in the area. Poynton stepped up to take the penalty and his well-placed shot was high to McNulty’s left, beyond the goalkeeper’s grasp.

City brought on Sadlier for Keohane as they sought to engineer something in response, but they had to be wary of Bohs’ threat on the break. One such counter-attack saw Ward link with sub’ Dinny Corcoran, whose cushioned header intended for O’Connor was intercepted by McNulty, who drew a foul for his troubles.

Campion and Sheppard both had headers wide as City pushed on, and in injury time Campion’s header from Bolger’s ball was saved by Supple.

CORK CITY: McNulty; Beattie, McCarthy, Delaney (Williams half-time), Griffin; Bolger, Buckley; Sheppard, Keohane (Sadlier 68), Dooley (Ellis 82); Campion.

BOHEMIANS: Supple; Casey (Hayes 70), Cornwall, O'Hora (Byrne 11), Morris; Poynton, Sule, Brennan, Ward; Akinade (Corcoran 67), O'Connnor.

Referee: R Rogers (Dublin).

Attendance: 3,590