Clarke seals important win for UCD over Bohemians at Dalymount Park

Defeat leves Bohs stranded at the bottom

Bohemians 1 UCD 3

Dean Clarke struck ten minutes from time to seal a big win for UCD as Bohemians' revival was halted at Dalymount Park.

Having come from a goal down to lead 2-1 at half-time, UCD soaked up Bohemians’ second half pressure before Clarke fired home from a tight angle following a Sean Russell corner.

That gave UCD a first win in four games to edge them four points clear of Bohemians who remain bottom. The result was harsh on Bohemians, who enjoyed the better possession.

Bohemians’ positive start had the desired effect as it brought a seventh minute lead from their first corner kick.


College ’keeper Mark McGinley could only bat the ball away under pressure from Conor Murphy and Anto Murphy’s header found the net.

The loss through injury of winger Andy Mulligan a minute later appeared to disrupt Bohemians. And though Karl Moore forced a save from McGinley on 10 minutes, UCD stormed back to turn the game on its head by the midway point of the half.

Craig Walsh forced a tip-over save from Dean Delany to win a corner on 16 minutes. Russell whipped a delivery to the back post and Cillian Morrison swept home the equaliser.

UCD took the lead five minutes later. Walsh cracked a free-kick off the crossbar and Dave O’Connor was first to the loose ball to sidefoot home.

Walsh was back defending to prevent a Bohemians equaliser on 27 minutes, clearing off the line from Conor Murphy.

McGinley then had to make the stop of the half on the stroke of the interval when pushing away another Anto Murphy header from Reynor’s corner.

Keith Buckley and Luke Byrne went close to equalising for Bohs before Clarke's late goal sealed UCD's win.
BOHEMIANS: Delany; Pender, Lopes, A. Murphy, Byrne; Moore, Buckley, Reynor (Murray, 89), Mulligan (Nangle, 8; Scully, 82); C. Murphy, Corcoran.
UCD: McGinley; Douglas (Kelly, 82), Leady, O'Connor, Russell; Clarke, Walsh, Creevy, Burke (O'Halloran, 72); Benson; Morrison (Matthews, h/t).
Referee: Paul Tuite (Dublin).